Friday, April 18, 2014

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday to me
My natal birthday
On this day
April 18
One of my mothers gave birth to me
One week later
My other mother picked me up
My birthday history begins there
A long time ago

This morning
I wanted to cry
Because
No birthday cake
It’s Passover
Friday breakfast buddies out of town
Bad timing
And I’ve gotten too old to sleep with gorgeous young men
Darn 

So I took myself out for a birthday walk with my hound
Had a pleasant birthday shower
Went to a birthday meeting of like-minded spiritual people
Enjoyed a birthday soy latte complements of Starbucks
My friend Nik presented me with birthday flowers
And the list goes on
No need to cry
The day given to me
Worked
Birthday dinner and theater
Alas still no birthday cake
But birthday Caesar salad
Birthday chicken piccata
Affogado for my birthday dessert
Book of Mormon for birthday entertainment 

Usually
I get to see my birthday
Once a day
At 4:18
If I remember to look
Today
My phone said
April 18
For twenty four hours
Nice
©kcasady2014


No comments:

Post a Comment