Monday, April 7, 2014

Right Sized

Her battle was not lost
She still stands today
They never gave it a name
The illness that nearly struck her down
It’s a crap shoot she’d say
A guessing game
Some win
Some lose
Roll the dice
All or nothing
It took nearly two years
Surgeries, radiation, chemo
Leaving one dead kidney
A digestive tract loping along on scars
And the perpetual question
Is it back?
She’s cancelled her future medical appointments
What’s the point she says
Nothing they can do if they find something
So she lives
Travels
Stays at five star resorts
Spoils herself
Her son
Her husband
My every second day phone calls have stopped
No longer necessary
But then
As now
I do not discuss with her the shit storms that kick up in my life
Seemingly serious matters right sized when held up to mortality
I have my health
I face only quality problems
Things I’d deal with everyday
Twenty-four seven
Grateful
For the breath to work through them
©kcasady2014


No comments:

Post a Comment