Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Hear Ye

Even I am relieved that the ordeal is over
That she finally died
The process so magnified that it spilled over everywhere
Young great grandchildren sang songs to her
Picnicking at her bedside
Adult grandchildren held vigil
Snuggling close
Freeing the even older adult children for a breather
All eulogized
Hear ye
Hear ye
We did all these things for her

Hear ye
Hear ye
She spent her last two weeks in a morphine induced coma
Freed from cancer pain
Perhaps freed from loving attention
My mother died in an ambulance with the attendant praying for her
She didn’t die alone
Jews are not supposed to die alone

My cousin said her newly dead mother had the best life of all her sisters
You might be right I say back
Your mother had all the trimmings
Adoring grandchildren and great grandchildren
A full life of estimable acts

My mother
A brilliant independent soul
Is buried alone 
Not near her husband or her parents
But serenely surrounded by other dead Jews
So she can kibitz without strings attached
Perfect I say to my cousin
Just perfect
©kcasady2014



No comments:

Post a Comment